FAMILIES SURVIVE FIRE ORDEAL

"The property, located along the Ahuia Street in the Gordons Industrial Area, was burnt down following an alleged electrical fault."

Five families have survived are fire ordeal that destroyed the flat they were living in this afternoon in Port Moresby.

The property, located along the Ahuia Street in the Gordons Industrial Area, was burnt down following an alleged electrical fault.

According to Mr. Alex Hasu, whom his unit the fire started from, the fire started from a power plug connector and then quickly spread.

“I was in the house with my daughter watching movies on the lap top and then we dozed off. I was awoken by my daughter when the fire started from the connection to the plug the fridge was connected to,” he said.

“It then spread to the full laundry basket next to the fridge and then to the window curtains. By then I was unable to stop the spread. I then started calling out to everyone to get out.”

The property on fire

 

His wife and his other daughter were outside the home when the fire started. Alex and his family and the other families escaped the blaze without any harm, but lost some of their belongings.

The fire crew arrived just in time to put out the fire and saved the other homes within the premises from being burnt down as well.

Fire crews from Waigani Fire Station putting out the blaze

 

The premises contains about four flats that houses the staffs of concrete company, PNG Readymix Concrete Ltd.

Nevertheless, a full investigation will be conducted by the fire service into this incident with a full report to be putout at the end of it.

Emmanuel Maipe
April 22, 2019