POLICE: ABDUCTION REPORT FALSE AND MISLEADING

"NCD Metropolitan Superintendent Perou N’Dranou stressed that the report was a rape case and blamed the false reports on so called social media administrators sparking rumours and anxiety in the public."

NCD Police have brushed aside reports of kidnapping saying they were false and misleading that resulted in a public commotion this morning at the Boroko Police Station.

NCD Metropolitan Superintendent Perou N’Dranou stressed that the report was a rape case and blamed the false reports on so called social media administrators sparking rumours and anxiety in the public.

“What transpired this morning emanated from false reporting, it’s unfortunate to see so much crowd in-front of the police station, it’s unfortunate to see three innocent young man assaulted because of this”, Mr N’Dranou stressed.

Met Sup N’Dranou revealed that police got the report of a rape incident a few days ago were the complainant was picked up from a night club and was raped.

“Knowing the suspect, she reported the matter to police few days later and the suspect was apprehended”,N’Dranou said.

“Our team investigated the case, and confirmed that it was not a kidnapping case, it’s a rape case”, N’Dranou said.

“Management was aware of the situation, and were on it only to find out that this morning that, all over the media, we picked up a suspect that have removed human organs and trying to sell it”, said N’Dranou.    

Mr N’Dranou said so far there are only two suspects apprehended as police investigate to further verify information.  

There are no proper factual information to lead with the investigations into the alleged abductions in NCD.

NCD CID Police 2IC Mr Robert Voto who is leading the investigations into the abductions said they do not have concrete information to conduct investigations.

NCD Metropolitan Superintendent N’Dranou said from the reports said about20 members of the public were asked and interviewed of how many had factual information.

However, all reports were hear say. Mr Voto has called on the public with factual information to report to them in assisting with the investigations.

Facebook administrators and users have been again warned to not post fake and misleading information on facebook causing anxiety amongst the public.

N’Dranou said police have been monitoring posts on social media and will arrest anyone who is posting misleading information and causing panic.

The Police Minister Jelta Wong shared similar sentiments confirmed this saying he has verified the situation on social media that has moved masses to congregate on the situation at the Boroko Police Station.

Minister Wong said with rumors and reports that hearts or body parts found is false. He stressed that police are investigating claims on facebook of the kidnappings and will get to the bottom of this.

He added that investigations must look at all avenues of accusations and not get the wrong people.    

Meanwhile, NCD governor Powes Parkop in a statement said the city needs an increase in police personnel to help the municipal authority in its responsive capacity to contain and prevent such instances.

Responding to the recent claims (perceived and real) of kidnapping and the upsurge of crime in the city, Mr Parkop said whilst they continue to support programs and initiatives that contribute to building a vibrant, active and safe city, it is a grave concern.

Governor Parkop is calling on city residents to take precautions as the municipal leadership is trying very hard to get down to the bottom of the issue.

“I urge all city residents to take precautions as we try to get to the bottom of this issue, and ask that citizens come forward to Police with any reliable information or Intel on criminal activities in your area", said Parkop.

By Tom KILAVI
May 30, 2019